RECIPE | CANDY CANE PEPPERMINT PATTIES
As a child I never liked anything peppermint flavoured but for some reason, as I got older, I found that a stack of After Eights still didn’t offer me enough of that cool peppermint flavour. If you’re anything like me this recipe should give you the cool kick you’ve been jonzing for. It’s quick and easy to make too. Enjoy!
• ¼ butter, softened
• 2 tsp peppermint extract
• 3 cups sugar (powdered), reserve some extra for preparation
• ½ cup light corn syrup or condensed milk (sweetened)
• 2 tsp vegetable oil
• 2 cups dark dipping chocolate (or dipping chocolate of choice if you’d like a specific colour, but it will change the flavour)
• 1–3 candy canes, crushed (depending on desired mintiness)
1. In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, combine butter, extract, powdered sugar, and syrup or condensed milk for 3–5 minutes. Ingredients should be well blended, thick, and holding together (like a dough).
2. Add crushed candy cane and gently fold thoroughly into the mixture.
3. Sprinkle some reserved powdered sugar on a clean, flat surface. Place peppermint mixture on the powdered surface and use a rolling pin to roll mixture approximately ½” thick. You can also flatten with your hands, just ensure you powder your hands as well.
4. Using a narrow or small cup (or round cookie cutter), cut out 1 – 1 ½” circles from the dough. Re-roll and repeat this step until peppermint mixture is finished — sprinkle powdered sugar over surfaces as needed.
5. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper and place the peppermint circles/patties on top.
6. Put peppermint patties into the fridge, allowing to cool for 35–40 minutes.
7. Place oil and dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring as needed, until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring until smooth.
8. Remove peppermint patties from fridge, poke with a fork, and one at a time dip the patties into the melted dark chocolate. Place back on baking sheet.
9. Once patties are coated, place the baking sheet back in the fridge for another 30- 40 minutes before serving. Store peppermint patties in the fridge until ready to serve.