- 1 1/2 LBS Fresh Mussels cleaned with beard removed
- 2 Tbsp Butter salted or unsalted
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic depending on preference
- 3/4 Cups Roma Tomatoes Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cups Shallots Minced
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes Depending on desired heat
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- Wash mussels thoroughly under cold running water.
- Heat stove to medium-high heat and in a large shallow pot add butter, allowing it to melt completely.
- Once butter is melted and beginning to bubble, add garlic and shallots. Stir frequently, cooking until the garlic is soft and the shallots become transparent – about 2-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and stir/cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, dried basil and lemon zest. Stir well to combine.
- Add cleaned mussels to the shallow pot, cover and steam for 3-5 minutes. Carefully open the lid, protecting yourself from the steam, and stir the mussels.
- Cover once more and steam for another 3-5 minutes, until mussels have opened up and are completely cooked.
- Once cooked, taste the sauce and season accordingly with salt, pepper and/or lemon juice. Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top for garnish when ready to serve.
Bonus Tip: Having lemon wedges handy is always a crowd pleaser when it comes to seafood!