Jalapeno Corn Bread Squares
This easy to make cornbread goes well with a hearty soup or chilli on a cold day. The jalapeños add a hint of flavour, so feel free to add more to kick up the heat. Try making it this Thanksgiving, it will be a big hit!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped seeded jalapeño peppers
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbs. 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 10-inch cast-iron fry pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, sugar, jalapeños and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter until just blended. Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold gently until the batter is blended and no lumps remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the corn bread comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Cut corn bread into wedges and serve.