Brûlée for dessert…why not for dinner? Freshly grated Parmesan cheese helps these creamy potatoes show off a golden colour, and the hint of horseradish will keep you coming back for more.
Servings: 8 people
- 2 Heads Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil 15 ml
- 2 Lbs Ontario Yukon Gold potatoes 1 kg
- 1/2 Cup Light Cream 125 ml
- 1/4 Cup Butter 50 ml
- 2 Tbsp Horseradish 25 ml
- 1/2 Tsp Salt 2 ml
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper 1 ml
- 1 Cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese 250 ml
- Cut tops off garlic and place in piece of foil. Drizzle with oil. Seal foil to form packet. Place garlic in 400ºF (200ºC) oven for 45 minutes or until garlic is soft when squeezed. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well and return to pot. Squeeze in roasted garlic. Using potato masher, mash potatoes until coarse. Add cream, butter, horseradish, salt and pepper; continue mashing until smooth.
- Divide potato mixture among 8 ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese and place on baking sheet and brûlée under broiler for 5 minutes or until golden on top.
Alternative / Yogurt-Mashed Potatoes: Omit light cream and butter and use ⅔ cup (150 mL) low-fat plain yogurt. Alternative | Chicken/Vegetable-Mashed Potatoes: Omit light cream and butter and use ½ cup (125 mL) chicken or vegetable stock. Excellent Source of Vitamin C, Source of Calcium, Source of Folate, Source of Vitamins B1, B2 and B3 Per serving: 240 calories | 7 g protein | 13 g fat | 23 g carbohydrates | 2 g fibre | 590 mg sodium 440 mg potassium