King Cole - Phyllo Triangles with Pulled Duck
Only the spinach in this simple and delicious filling needs cooking. Store unbaked triangles in freezer for holiday entertaining.
- 10 Sheets of phyllo pastry thawed
- ½ cup 125mL Butter, melted (approximately)
- 1½ cups 375mL King Cole Duck (KCD) Pulled Duck Meat, thawed and shredded*
- 1 cup 250mL Packed, fresh spinach; cooked, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 cup 250mL Ricotta cheese
- 2 Egg yolks
- ¼ cup 50mL Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Green onions chopped
- 1 tsp 5mL Each chopped, fresh thyme and sage
- ¼ tsp 1mL Grated nutmeg
- Pinch Salt and freshly ground pepper
Filling: In a large bowl, combine duck meat, spinach, ricotta, egg yolks, Parmesan, green onions, herbs, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Place 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface, cover remaining phyllo with waxed paper then a damp towel to prevent drying. Brush sheet lightly with butter; lay second sheet over top and brush with butter.
Facing wide edge, cut pastry into 6 strips, about 3-inches wide.
Spoon about 1 Tbsp (15mL) of filling, and place about 1-inch (2.5cm) from end of each strip. Fold 1 corner of phyllo over filling so the bottom edge of the phyllo meets side edge to form a triangle. Continue folding triangle sideways and upward until the end of the phyllo strip is reached. Press edges firmly together. Then repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
Place on triangles on parchment lined baking sheets; brush with butter. Note: At this point the triangles can be frozen in a single layer and stored in airtight containers.
Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned (about 25 to 30 minutes, if frozen). Serve warm.
Tip: Use leftover pulled meat in pasta, salads, or tacos, etc.
*Shred duck meat using fingers or two forks.